Established since 2001, Domainex is a privately-owned, rapidly growing drug discovery therapeutics company with expertise spanning disease target expression, hit discovery, hit-to-lead identification and lead optimisation. We have established a reputation for a high-quality and innovative approach, and have a sustained track record of delivering preclinical drug candidates. Our clients include leading academic groups, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies from the UK and overseas.
At an exciting stage in its evolution, Domainex has recently moved in to a newly refurbished facility on Chesterford Research Park, near Cambridge, giving an over two-fold increase in laboratory space. The company is now looking to welcome experienced and ambitious scientists to our team.
The Domainex team has been recruited from major companies and leading universities, and we are highly experienced in every aspect of drug discovery. Our state of the art laboratories are located near Cambridge, at the centre of Europe’s largest biotechnology cluster. We have a multi-disciplinary, collegiate culture where ideas, innovation, commitment and collaboration are encouraged.
- Synthetic Chemists - Cambridge, UK
- Medicinal Chemists - Cambridge, UK
- Assay Biologists - Cambridge, UK
- Business Development Manager
- Protein Scientist - Cambridge, UK
Domainex currently has full-time positions available immediately for motivated laboratory-based synthetic chemists. Our ideal candidates will have a Ph.D. in organic chemistry, or a B.Sc/M.Sc. degree in chemistry, preferably with additional synthetic chemistry experience in an industrial setting. Candidates will be required to demonstrate a track record of success in synthetic chemistry and will have skills and experience in the following areas:
- Organic synthesis. Able to plan and execute synthetic programmes independently, combining personal knowledge with literature searching to identify appropriate synthetic routes. Will be required to work efficiently in the laboratory to meet project success criteria. Experience with scale-up chemistry (up to 20 g of target material) would be advantageous.
- Team-work. Able to work closely with colleagues and clients to plan and integrate efforts to achieve the project objectives as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Communication. Able to present scientific results to colleagues and clients in a clear, articulate manner
If you would like to apply for one of these positions, please send your CV and a covering letter, quoting reference SC1216, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Domainex currently has full-time positions available immediately for motivated laboratory-based medicinal chemists. Our ideal candidates will have a Ph.D. in organic or medicinal chemistry, or a B.Sc/M.Sc. degree in chemistry, preferably with additional drug discovery experience in an industrial setting. Candidates will be required to demonstrate a track record of success in synthetic medicinal chemistry and will have skills and experience in the following areas:
- Drug design. Using available information, working in partnership with computational chemistry colleagues, ability to design compounds to modulate biological targets that are implicated in disease.
- Organic synthesis. Able to plan and execute synthetic programmes independently, combining personal knowledge with literature searching to identify appropriate synthetic routes. Will be required to work efficiently in the laboratory to meet project success criteria.
- Team-work. Able to work closely with multi-disciplinary colleagues and clients to plan and integrate efforts to achieve the project objectives as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Communication. Able to present scientific results to colleagues and clients in a clear, articulate manner
- Principles of drug discovery. Bring an in-depth knowledge of the important parameters to achieve along the drug discovery process, from initial hit identification to the nomination of preclinical candidates.
If you would like to apply for one of these positions, please send your CV and a covering letter, quoting reference MC0716, to email@example.com.
BioassayBuilder is a suite of services covering protein expression, assay development, high throughput screening, compound profiling (potency, selectivity, phenotype, and mechanism of action) and off-target safety assessment to support the generation of pre-clinical candidates. Our team of experienced molecular, assay and cell biologists are able to support our clients in ways that are precisely adapted to their needs.
Domainex has a two assay biologist vacancies (one permanent role and one 1yr maternity cover). These roles require the ability to plan and implement experimental programmes, to solve any problems that arise, and to work effectively within project teams to deliver high quality data. Other required attributes will include diligent reporting of results, data interpretation and an ability to make recommendations for further studies. Laboratory work is the major component of these varied and challenging roles, and most of our bioassays are run on automated instrumentation in medium-throughput mode. It will also be essential to able to communicate results effectively and provide data interpretation to our customers.
Qualified to BSc or PhD level, all applicants must have some prior industrial experience of running biochemical and/or cellular assays in at least one of the following categories; enzyme kinetics (including kinases), protein-protein interactions, cellular efficacy and/or mechanism of action studies, or phenotypic screening. Experience of working with laboratory automation is preferential. It would be desirable, but not essential, to have experience in some of these techniques: biophysical techniques; inflammation or oncology cellular and disease models; use of FACS equipment; primary cell culture; identification of pharmacodynamic markers in cellular assays.
Candidates must have experience of working with microtitre plate-based assays in a drug discovery setting, will have developed assays for compound screening and potency determination in a variety of formats, and will be proficient in data processing and analysis.
If you would like to apply for the permanent position, please send your CV and a covering letter, quoting reference BAP0417, to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to apply for the 1 yr maternity cover position, please send your CV and a covering letter, quoting reference BAM0217, to email@example.com
Do you enjoy meeting people? Do you like to travel? Are you passionate about selling to discerning clients? Are you qualified to Ph.D. in a life science, have some hands-on experience in small molecule drug discovery and/or the holder of an MBA? If so, you might very well be the candidate we are looking for.
We are now seeking a Business Development Manager willing to find new drug discovery service business from clients across Western Europe.
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for the full sales cycle, from identifying and qualifying new leads, working with the client and colleagues to submit proposals through to negotiating commercial terms and closing deals. Based from a home office within the UK within proximity to an airport, our chosen candidate shall be expected to secure appointments and organise their travel schedules to be ‘on the road’ for approximately 50% of their time, travelling in the UK and across Western Europe. The successful candidate will have to have the energy required to take on tough challenges, tenacity to pursue opportunities throughout the sales cycle. Success will require the confidence, persona and gravitas necessary to interface successfully, negotiate and close deals. Our chosen candidate will be able to draw from the skills and expertise of our most qualified and experienced scientists in support of new business.
The role of the Business Development Manager will be to:
- Identify, establish contact with, and actively pursue, new potential academic, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals clients predominantly for the Company’s drug discovery services across Western Europe. Use their network of contacts in the drug discovery industry to expand Domainex’s reach.
- Work closely with the company’s scientists to ensure the right technical input is given to building proposals to address the particular needs of the client across the drug discovery spectrum, from target expression to delivery of pre-clinical candidates.
- Help write persuasive sales proposals to a high-quality level in a timely fashion once a lead has been qualified. Drive the succeeding contract negotiation process.
- Act as the key business contact for clients during the prosecution of contracts:
- Support with any techno-commercial project problem solving that may be required
- Communicate any proposed or necessary changes in research project scope, and lead any significant contract renegotiation
- Build and maintain strong long-term relationships with current and future clients and networks to develop future sales prospects.
- Maintain effective customer and prospect management processes, and supporting records and data systems.
The ideal candidate will have had ideally a combination of hands-on experience in a small molecule industrial drug discovery setting and have a willingness to leverage this experience to build new business relationships with prospective clients. It would be desirable but not essential if you have a proven track record of selling of contract drug discovery services. The main characteristic we are looking for is a person passionate about consultative selling who can build an in-depth knowledge of the services Domainex offers and can quickly build trust and rapport with scientists and managers from our target organisations. Our candidate will have an eye for detail and be extremely well organised. It goes without saying that we seek a results-orientated, high achiever looking to become a key lynch-pin in growing with our organisation. Success will lead to handsome reward.
- Excellent scientific credentials qualified to Ph.D. level in chemistry or life sciences or the holder of a life science first degree and an MBA.
- Ideally a track-record of initiation and negotiation of sales in the drug discovery services sector, coupled with an excellent practical understanding of deal structuring, and a track record of closing deals.
- An in-depth understanding of the pharmaceuticals and biotechnology sector and its dynamics
- Knowledge of the critical stages of the drug discovery process, from target expression to lead optimisation
- Results focussed, self-motivated with a high level of drive and energy, and a readiness to take on tough challenges and see them through to conclusion
- Has good business acumen: able to gather critical business information on which to base judgement and decide priorities, and to combine negotiating skills with significant scientific depth to identify and secure business opportunities.
- Demonstrates first-class communication ability, with the credibility and skills of persuasion that are required to present arguments in a diplomatic, clear, concise, and logical manner, and to influence others positively.
- Has the confidence, persona and gravitas needed to interface and negotiate at all levels, and to sell the Company's service capabilities confidently to the outside world.
- Is customer-focused, with the ability to build and evolve relationships internally and externally at all levels over a significant period.
- Can think laterally, and to implement tactics that will lead to the evolution of both sales activities and corporate relationships.
- Is an active team player with the flexibility to work in multi-disciplinary teams with a broad range of personalities.
- Prepared to travel as needed (up to 50%) to establish and develop business contacts.
The position offers a competitive salary with generous company pension scheme and bonus structure to reward personal success in securing new business.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV and a covering letter, quoting reference BD0516, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Domainex has a permanent position available for an experienced protein scientist to work in our laboratories. The role will be to identify the best expression systems, and then prepare, purify, and characterise recombinant proteins for use in biochemical assays, and for structural studies using NMR and X-ray crystallography.
- Ph.D in Biology, Biochemistry or a related relevant discipline or a BSc/MSc degree with significant relevant experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- Experience of a wide range of standard molecular biology techniques: i.e. PCR, bacterial transformation, purification of plasmid preps from bacterial cultures (Minipreps), DNA and protein electrophoresis, Western blotting
- Expertise in recombinant protein expression and purification in E. coli.
- Substantial experience of using AKTA chromatography equipment (or similar) for protein purification
- Excellent problem solving skills, scientific judgement and communication skills.
- Proven ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to achieve objectives. Ability to interact with people at all levels, enjoy working as part of team and have an innovative, flexible and enthusiastic approach to your work.
- A practical understanding of biophysical techniques and their application in protein analysis and/or experience in protein crystallography would be a plus.
The successful candidate will be an excellent team player, used to working to tight deadlines and with good communication skills. You will work closely with colleagues in the Protein Science Team, as well as with our Assay Biologists and other members of our drug discovery project teams.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV and a covering letter, quoting reference PS00517, to email@example.com. The closing date is May 28th and the interviews will take place in early June. Please state your availability for interview in your application.
For all posts, we are legally obliged to confirm that the appointee is eligible to work in the UK before they start working for us. When applying for jobs it is important that you are aware of your eligibility status as government restrictions apply to the employment of migrant workers. If invited to interview, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK on your arrival.
Due to the anticipated high number of applicants, we can only reply to candidates with the most relevant skills and experience. If you have not heard back from us within one month of submitting your application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.