Are you trying to bridge the gap between academic research and drug discovery funding schemes?
If the answer is yes, you could consider applying for a chance to receive some free consultancy or virtual screening via our prestigious Discovery STAR award.
Launched in 2013, the Discovery STAR award supports a number of early stage drug discovery projects each year. Successful applicants will receive some drug discovery consultancy and/or virtual hit screening, free of charge, to help access drug discovery funding from organisations such as the Wellcome Trust, MRC, British Heart Foundation and Parkinson’s UK.
We welcome applications in any area of small molecule healthcare innovation, but are particularly interested in supporting research in the following areas:
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Mental health
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Rare and neglected diseases
Domainex is committed to supporting exciting and cutting-edge translational research, and through its collaborations with leading research institutions such as Imperial College London, St George’s University of London, the Universities of Manchester and Leeds, and the ICR has exemplified how academic-private sector drug discovery collaborations can really succeed.
If you would like to apply to the Discovery STAR award scheme, follow the instructions below.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Eddy Littler, Domainex's former CEO speaking about the first recipient of the Discovery STAR award
How to apply
- Domainex will open the Discovery STAR award to applications once per year.
- The deadline for the next round is Wednesday 31st May 2017.
- If you have questions, please contact George Buckley at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domainex will treat any information provided as confidential, but can arrange a non-disclosure agreement with an applicant if this is preferred.
- No compound purchase from 3rd party suppliers is included and the cost of these must be covered by the award recipient.
- No cash alternatives to the award are available.
In order to apply, please provide us with the following details and email your application to email@example.com
Details to include in your Discovery STAR Award application
- Name, position, academic institute
- A description of a how a Discovery STAR Award would help your drug discovery programme
- Description of the novelty of the drug target or mechanism
- Does the project address a significant unmet medical need? Please explain the novelty of your approach to this disease indication.
- An outline of the assays required to test the screening compounds that Domainex will identify via our virtual screening services. Please describe in detail the format and throughput of this assay and the source of reagents.
- An outline of the information available to enable a virtual screen. For example: structural information regarding the target, or of orthologous or homologous proteins; or information about known ligands/inhibitors.
- The virtual screen will provide a compound screening set, tailored to your target and clinical indication. Please provide confirmation that you have funding available to enable the purchase of min. 200-500 compounds from 3rd parties at an average of £30/cpd, or provide information on how you will acquire additional funds to support this.
- An indication of your plan following successful hit identification. For example, do you intend to attract further funding to support a larger drug discovery project?